Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Royal Generation

  I will maintain my story that I did not purposefully awake at 4:30 last Friday morning to watch a couple of Brits get hitched.  But since I was awake anyway... I did partake.  As I gazed at the enormity of Westminster with it's stained glass, cavernous nave, and sardined attendees, memories of smells, temperatures, and echoes from the many European cathedrals I have visited wafted through my pre-dawn consciousness.  It was as if the hard, cold stone and massive, empty space of the structure was a physical representation of the ceremony occurring within as words meant to bound mortals in familial bliss stood stiff and hollow as suggestions for happiness and responsibility ended with "until death do you part".  This perspective is projected from another marriage exactly one week earlier between two ordinary people from middle class families created an eternal family unit declaring acceptance of that promise of divine royalty, heirs to celestial kingdoms, where death has no meaning.
Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the pomp and pageantry that surrounded the auspicious occasion.  It was all very beautiful and pleasing to the senses.  The comparison in the depth of spirituality was without measure.  One union set fixed for a finite convergence while the other is launched forth into infinite prosperity and joy through posterity and everlasting dominions flowing forward without compulsory means.
So I went back to sleep.

No comments: